microlax powder for oral solution,Uses, Dosage, Side Effects & Precautions
- 1 what is MICROLAX MACROGOL ?
- 2 what is MICROLAX medication used for and indication?
- 3 MICROLAX powder Dosage
- 4 MICROLAX Contraindications
- 5 HOW TO TAKE MICROLAX MACROGOL?
- 6 how does MICROLAX work?
- 7 HOW TO STORE MICROLAX ?
- 8 MICROLAX Side Effects
- 9 MICROLAX Interactions
- 10 Drive and use machines
- 11 Warnings and Precautions
- 12 PREGNANCY & BREAST-FEEDING & FERTILITY
- 13 What happens if I overdose from MICROLAX ?
- 14 What should I do if I miss a dose?
- 15 What is Forms and Composition ?
what is MICROLAX MACROGOL ?
- Treatment of occasional constipation.
- MICROLAX MACROGOL 5.9 g, powder for oral solution is a mild laxative used in the treatment of occasional constipation in adults.
PRESENTATION (S) AVAILABLE FOR MICROLAX MACROGOL 5.9 G
7 presentations are available for this drug:
- 2 polyethylene aluminum foil bag (s)
- 8 polyethylene aluminum foil bag (s)
- 10 polyethylene aluminum foil bag (s)
- 20 polyethylene aluminum foil bag (s)
- 24 polyethylene aluminum foil bag (s)
- 30 polyethylene aluminum foil bag (s)
- 50 polyethylene aluminum foil bag (s)
|Active substance (s)||for a sachet: macrogol 3350 (5.9 g)|
|Pharmaceutical form||powder for oral solution|
|Route (s) of administration||oral|
|Selling price||unregulated price|
|Social security reimbursement rate||0%|
|Laboratory (s)||Laboratory (s) manufacturer Microlax macrogol 5.9 g|
|Conditions of issue||available without prescription|
what is MICROLAX medication used for and indication?
Symptomatic treatment of occasional constipation in adults.
MICROLAX powder Dosage
- Adult over 18 years old and elderly subjects.
- The usual dose is 1 to 2 sachets per day to be taken at once, preferably in the morning. The average dose is 1 sachet per day.
- Dissolve the contents of one sachet of MICROLAX MACROGOL 5.9 g, powder for oral solution in a glass of water (approximately 100 ml). After the contents of the sachet have dissolved, take this medicine immediately.
- Drink once a day, preferably in the morning.
- The dose can be increased to 2 sachets per day but wait 24 to 48 hours before increasing the dose.
- Do not take MICROLAX MACROGOL 5.9 g, powder for oral solution for more than 2 weeks, unless your doctor has advised you to do so (see section 2 “Take special care with MICROLAX MACROGOL 5.9 g, powder for oral solution “).
Never take MICROLAX MACROGOL 5.9 g, powder for oral solution :
- If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to any of the ingredients (see section “6. Further information” for the list of ingredients);
- If you have an intestinal obstruction;
- If you have a perforation of the intestine;
- If you have inflammatory bowel disease such as ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease;
- If you have toxic megacolon (dilation of your colon making it impossible to expel gas and stool);
- If you have paralytic ileus (paralysis of the intestinal muscles);
- If you have pain in your stomach of unknown cause;
- If you have nausea or vomiting;
- If you suffer from severe hemorrhoidal pain;
- If you suffer from severe dehydration.
In case of doubt, it is essential to seek the advice of your doctor or pharmacist.
HOW TO TAKE MICROLAX MACROGOL?
- Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if in doubt.
- MICROLAX MACROGOL 5.9 g, powder for oral solution should only be taken over a short period, not longer than 7 days.
- The effect of MICROLAX MACROGOL 5.9 g, powder for oral solution is manifested within 24 to 48 hours after taking.
how does MICROLAX work?
- Pharmacotherapeutic group: Osmotic laxative, ATC code: A06AD15.
- MICROLAX MACROGOL 5.9 g, powder for oral solution is an iso-osmotic laxative, mixture of macrogol 3350 and electrolytes.
- High molecular weight macrogols (3350) are long linear polymers on which water molecules are retained by hydrogen bonds. When administered orally, they cause an increase in the volume of intestinal fluids.
- MICROLAX MACROGOL 5.9 g, powder for oral solution, mixture of macrogol 3350 and electrolytes, maintains an iso-osmotic liquid flow over the entire length of the intestinal tract.
- The volume of unabsorbed intestinal fluid is responsible for the laxative properties of the solution.
HOW TO STORE MICROLAX ?
- Keep this medication out of the sight and reach of children.
- Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the sachet and the carton. The expiration date refers to the last day of that month.
- No special storage conditions.
- Medicines should not be thrown away with waste or with household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away the medicines you no longer use. These measures will help protect the environment.
MICROLAX Side Effects
Like all medicines, MICROLAX MACROGOL 5.9 g, powder for oral solution can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
If you experience any of the effects mentioned below, stop the treatment and consult your doctor:
Very rare (less than 1 in 10,000 patients)
- allergic reactions including wheezing, difficulty in breathing, swelling of the face or throat.
- allergic reactions including skin rash, hives, pruritus.
Very common (more than 1 in 10 patients)
- Too high doses can lead to mild diarrhea or watery stools.
- Watery stools and diarrhea may persist for 24 to 48 hours but usually resolve with continued treatment at a lower dose.
Common (less than 1 in 10 patients)
- Abdominal pain or discomfort.
- If you experience any of the side effects listed as serious, or if you experience any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
- Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
- If you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
- Like any other laxative, the absorption of other drugs may be transiently reduced during the use of MICROLAX MACROGOL 5.9 g powder for oral solution.
INTERACTIONS OF MICROLAX MACROGOL 5.9 G WITH FOOD AND DRINK
Food and drinks
This medicine can be taken with or without food.
Drive and use machines
No effect on the ability to drive and use machines has been observed.
Warnings and Precautions
MICROLAX MACROGOL 5.9 g , powder for oral solution :
- MICROLAX MACROGOL 5.9 g, powder for oral solution treats your constipation but you must enrich your diet with vegetable fibers and drinks. It is also advisable to practice regular physical activity.
- If you are using MICROLAX MACROGOL 5.9 g, powder for oral solution for the first time and you do not obtain improvement after 2 weeks of treatment, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
- Each sachet contains approximately 274 mg of sodium. In case of a controlled sodium diet, seek the advice of your doctor before taking this medication.
- Each sachet contains approximately 39 mg of potassium. In case of kidney failure or on a controlled potassium diet, ask your doctor for advice before taking this medicine.
- This medicine contains polyethylene glycol (also called macrogol). Rare allergic-type events (1 to 10 in 10,000 patients) and exceptional cases of anaphylactic shock (less than 1 in 10,000 patients) have been reported with high doses of polyethylene glycol, used in colonic exploration preparations.
- Drug treatment should only be considered if lifestyle and dietary treatment alone has been shown to be ineffective.
PREGNANCY & BREAST-FEEDING & FERTILITY
- In the clinic, there are no data available on pregnancies exposed to macrogol 3350. Animal studies have not produced any evidence of a teratogenic effect.
- Consequently, and taking into account the very low absorption of macrogol 3350, the use of MICROLAX MACROGOL 5.9 g, powder for oral solution can be considered if necessary.
Feeding with milk
- There are no data on the excretion of macrogol 3350 in milk. As macrogol 3350 is poorly absorbed, the use of MICROLAX MACROGOL 5.9 g, powder for oral solution can be considered during breast-feeding if necessary.
What happens if I overdose from MICROLAX ?
- Overdose results in diarrhea leading to temporary discontinuation of treatment or reduction of dosage. Heavy fluid loss during diarrhea may require correction of electrolyte disturbances.
- Cases of bronchial inhalation have been reported with the administration of large amounts of polyethylene glycol and electrolytes through a nasogastric tube.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
- MICROLAX MACROGOL 5.9 g, powder for oral solution is to be taken all at once, preferably in the morning. You can take it later in the day if you forget to take it, but in this case the next dose should be taken at the same time on the following days.
- Do not take a double dose to make up for the single dose you forgot to take.
What is Forms and Composition ?
What does MICROLAX MACROGOL 5.9 g contain, powder for oral solution?
Active substance:Macrogol 3350: 5.9 g For a bag.
- Sodium chloride, anhydrous sodium sulfate, potassium chloride, sodium bicarbonate, sodium saccharin, colloidal anhydrous silica, lemon flavor (including maltodextrin, gum arabic (acacia) and ascorbic acid), mango flavor (including maltodextrin, propylene glycol, gum arabic (acacia)).
Edrug-online contains comprehensive and detailed information about drugs available in the medical field, and is divided into four sections:
- Includes a general description of the drug, its use, brand names, FAQs, and relevant news and articles
- General explanation about dealing with the medicine: how to take the medicine, the doses and times of it, the start and duration of its effectiveness, the recommended diet during the period of taking the medicine, the method of storage and storage, recommendations in cases for forgetting the dose and instructions to stop taking the drug and take additional doses.
- For pregnant and breastfeeding women, the elderly, boys and drivers, and use before surgery.
- It treats possible side effects and drug interactions that require attention and its effect on continuous use.
- The information contained in this medicine is based on medical literature, but it is not a substitute for consulting a doctor.