- 1 Important to know about Ventolin ?
- 2 ventolin used for and indication
- 3 ventolin dosage
- 4 ventolin how it works
- 5 What are the side effects of Ventolin inhaler?
- 6 ventolin drug (inhaler) interactions
- 7 Ventolin Warnings and Precautions
- 8 Drive and use machines:
- 9 Ventolin and PREGNANCY / BREAST FEEDING / FERTILITY
- 10 What is Forms and Composition Ventolin?
Important to know about Ventolin ?
- It is a bronchodilator (it increases the size of the bronchi) fast acting and short duration.
- It is administered by inhalation with the help of a nebuliser (nebuliser).
- The use of this drug in this mode of administration should be reserved for the treatment of severe asthma attacks in children and infants, when these situations require the inhalation of high doses of salbutamol.
ventolin used for and indication
- Dosage 1.25 mg / 2.5 ml: Symptomatic treatment of severe acute asthma in children and infants.
- Dosages at 2.5 mg / 2.5 ml and at 5 mg / 2.5 ml:
- Symptomatic treatment of severe acute asthma.
- Treatment of acute attacks of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in adults.
- Severe acute asthma requires hospitalization in the intensive care unit.
- Oxygen therapy and systemic corticosteroids should be combined with bronchodilator therapy.
- This low dose presentation is not suitable for the treatment of adults, but for that of children and infants.
children and infants :
- 50 to 150 μg of salbutamol / kg (ie 0.1 to 0.3 ml / kg of this solution) without generally exceeding 5 mg (4 single doses of 2.5 ml) of nebulized salbutamol.
- Nebulization can be repeated every 20 to 30 minutes depending on the clinical outcome and the tolerance of the treatment.
Method of administration :
- – Inhaled route exclusively.This salbutamol solution should be administered by inhalation using a nebulizer (nebulizer).
DO NOT INJECT – DO NOT AVALER.
- – For the use and maintenance of the nebuliser, follow the instructions given by the manufacturer of the device used.
- – The solution is ready for use, however if dilution is necessary, it must be performed in sterile saline.
- Remove a single-dose container from the blister.
- Open the container by twisting its upper end vigorously.
- Squeeze the container to empty it into the nebulizer reservoir.
- Assemble the nebulizer for administration according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Eye contact should be avoided by aerosol generated by the nebulizer.
- – With pneumatic nebulizers, the flow of air or oxygen to pulse the solution will be adapted according to the patient’s condition and the recommendations of the manufacturer of the nebuliser.
- – Nebulization should generally not exceed 10 to 20 minutes.
- – The technique of use by the patient must be checked regularly.
- – After the nebulization, the unused solution remaining in the tank of the device must be discarded. Cleaning and maintenance of the equipment will be done according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- – Single-dose containers do not contain preservatives, they should be used immediately after opening. For each nebulization a new container must be used. The contents of partially open or damaged single-dose containers should not be administered.
ventolin how it works
ATC Code: R03AC02.
- BETA2 MIMETIC BRONCHODILATOR WITH RAPID ACTION AND SHORT-TERM INHALATION.
- Salbutamol is a selective beta2 receptor agonist.
- After inhalation, salbutamol exerts a stimulating action on the beta2 receptors of the bronchial smooth muscle thus ensuring rapid bronchodilatation, significant in minutes, persisting for 4 to 6 hours.
What are the side effects of Ventolin inhaler?
The side effects are listed below, listed by organ class and frequency. Frequencies are defined as very common (≥1 / 10), frequent (≥1 / 100 and <1/10), uncommon (≥1 / 1000 and <1/100), rare (≥1 / 10000 and <1) / 1000) and very rare (<1/10000) including isolated cases. Very frequent and frequent effects have generally been described in clinical trials. Rare and very rare side effects are usually from spontaneous post-marketing reports.
Immune system disorders
Very rare hypersensitivity reactions including: angioneurotic edema, urticaria, pruritus, bronchospasm, hypotension, collapse
Metabolism and nutrition disorders
Nervous system disorders
Behavioral disorders: nervousness, agitation
Tachycardia Palpitations Cardiac arrhythmias (including atrial fibrillation, supraventricular tachycardia and extrasystoles)
Frequent Uncommon Very rare
Peripheral vasodilatation Very rare
Respiratory, thoracic and mediastinal disorders
Paradoxical bronchospasm ** Very rare
Irritation of the mouth and throat
Musculoskeletal and systemic disorders
* Beta-2 mimetics administered at very high doses may lead to hypokalaemias.
** As with other inhaled products, possibility of coughing and rarely paradoxical bronchospasm following inhalation. Do not restart this drug and use another fast-acting bronchodilator to relieve bronchospasm. The treatment should then be reassessed to consider, if necessary, the prescription of a therapeutic alternative.
High dose beta-2 mimetics may result in reversible hyperglycaemia upon discontinuation of therapy.
ventolin drug (inhaler) interactions
Ventolin Warnings and Precautions
- – Administration of salbutamol with a nebulizer should be restricted to acute, severe situations requiring inhalation of a high inhaled dose.
- These situations require medical surveillance with the possibility of setting up resuscitation (venous access and respiratory assistance); systemic oxygen therapy and corticosteroids usually need to be combined.
- – The attention of athletes will be drawn to the fact that this specialty contains an active ingredient that can induce a positive reaction of the tests performed during doping controls.
PRECAUTIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT:
- – This low dose presentation is not adapted to the treatment of the adult, but to that of the child and the infant (see posology).
- – In case of bronchial infection or bronchorrhea abundant, appropriate treatment is necessary to promote the optimal diffusion of the product in the respiratory tract.
- – This medication should be used with caution in hyperthyroidism, cardiovascular disease, including obstructive cardiomyopathy, coronary heart disease, arrhythmias, high blood pressure, and diabetes mellitus.
- – High dose beta2 mimetics may cause hypokalemia that may lead to the occurrence of cardiac arrhythmias. Monitoring of serum potassium is recommended whenever possible, particularly when concomitant use of hypokalaemic therapies, hypoxia or in subjects with increased risk of torsades de pointes (long QT or treatments likely to increase QTc).
- – Pregnancy: in case of administration before delivery take into account the peripheral vasodilator effect of beta2 mimetics.
- – Breast-feeding: beta2 mimetics pass into breast milk.
Drive and use machines:
Ventolin and PREGNANCY / BREAST FEEDING / FERTILITY
- Clinically, there is a significant decline, with a sufficient number of documented pregnancies, so that we can conclude on the safety of salbutamol during pregnancy.
- As a result, inhaled salbutamol can be administered during pregnancy.
- When administered during pregnancy, an acceleration of the fetal heart rate may be observed in parallel with maternal tachycardia. It is exceptional to see her persist at birth.
- Similarly, postnatal blood glucose values are only exceptionally disturbed.
- When administered before delivery, consider the peripheral vasodilator effect of beta-2-mimetics.
- Beta-2-mimetics pass into breast milk.
- Immediately consult your doctor or pharmacist.
What is Forms and Composition Ventolin?
|FORMS and PRESENTATIONS|
- 1.25 mg / 2.5 ml Nebulizer Inhalation Solution : 2.5 ml single-dose containers, box of 20. 2.5 mg / 2.5 ml and 5 mg / 2.5 Nebulizer Inhalation Solution ml: Single-dose containers of 2.5 ml, box of 60.
|p single dose|
|Salbutamol (DCI)||1.25 mg|
|(as sulphate: 1.5 mg, 3 mg or 6 mg per dose)|
- Excipients (common): sodium chloride, dilute sulfuric acid, purified water (1.25 mg / 2.5 mL sol), water ppi (2.5 mg sol and 5 mg / 2.5 mL).
Edrug-online contains comprehensive and detailed information about drugs available in the medical field, and is divided into four sections:
- Includes a general description of the drug, its use, brand names, FAQs, and relevant news and articles
- General explanation about dealing with the medicine: how to take the medicine, the doses and times of it, the start and duration of its effectiveness, the recommended diet during the period of taking the medicine, the method of storage and storage, recommendations in cases for forgetting the dose and instructions to stop taking the drug and take additional doses.
- For pregnant and breastfeeding women, the elderly, boys and drivers, and use before surgery.
- It treats possible side effects and drug interactions that require attention and its effect on continuous use.
- The information contained in this medicine is based on medical literature, but it is not a substitute for consulting a doctor.