what is betadine mouthwash ?
This medicine is an antiseptic solution (containing iodine) for mouthwash.
It is an adjunctive local treatment for infections of the oral cavity and it allows post-operative care in stomatology.
What is Betadine used for and indication?
Adjunctive local treatment of infections of the oral cavity and postoperative care in stomatology.
betadine mouthwash dosage
- RESERVED FOR ADULTS AND CHILDREN OVER 6 YEARS OLD.
- Local use in mouthwash.
- DO NOT SWALLOW.
- Four mouthwashes per day, after diluting 1 to 2 teaspoons of the product in a glass of lukewarm water.
- Povidone hypersensitivity
- Pregnancy from the 2nd trimester
- Feeding with milk
- Newborn (0 to 1 month)
- Child from 1 month to 6 years old
This medication MUST NOT BE USED in the following situations:
History of hypersensitivity to any of the constituents, in particular povidone. There are no cross reactions with iodinated contrast media. Intolerance reactions (anaphylactoid reactions) to iodine contrast products or seafood anaphylaxis do not constitute a contraindication to the use of BETADINE.
- Premature and Newborn (under 1 month).
- In order extended for the second and third trimester of pregnancy.
- Breastfeeding is against-indicated in cases of prolonged treatment.
This medication SHOULD NOT GENERALLY BE USED:
- In children under 6 years.
how does betadine work
PREPARATIONS FOR ODONTOSTOMATOLOGY / OTHER AGENTS FOR LOCAL / VARIOUS ORAL TREATMENT.
ATC Code: A01AD11.
- Povidone iodine is an iodophoric product.
- It is an organic complex composed of about 10% active iodine available.
- Its spectrum of activity is that of iodine (antiseptic bactericide on all bacteria and fungicide on yeasts and filamentous fungi).
What are the side effects of Betadine?
Exceptionally, hypersensitivity reactions: urticaria, angioedema, anaphylactic shock, anaphylactoid reaction, have been described with products containing povidone, including specialties BETADINE.
Possibility of irritation manifesting itself in the mucous membranes.
- In case of repeated administrations and excessive use, this product may, on the one hand be irritating to the mucous membranes, on the other hand it can occur iodized overload likely to cause thyroid dysfunction.
- Due to the presence of terpene derivatives and in case of non-compliance with the recommended doses, possibility of agitation and mental confusion in the elderly.
RECOMMENDED ASSOCIATIONS :
- Mercurial antiseptics : erythema, phlyctenes, and even mucocutaneous necrosis (formation of a caustic complex when concomitant use of iodized and mercurial antiseptics).
- The interaction depends on the stability of the organomercurial at the cutaneous level and the individual sensitivity.
Betadine Warnings and Precautions
- If symptoms persist for more than 5 days and / or associated fever, the course of action should be evaluated again.
- Due to possible absorption of iodine through the mucosa, repeated or prolonged treatment may pose a risk of systemic effects , particularly thyroid dysfunction.
- In case of a history of epilepsy, take into account the presence of terpene derivatives (mint flavor).
Precautions for use
- The indication does not justify a prolonged treatment, especially as it could expose to an imbalance of the normal microbial flora of the oral cavity with a risk of bacterial or fungal diffusion.
- Given the possible interference (antagonism, inactivation), the simultaneous or successive use of antiseptics should be avoided.
- Possible interference with functional exploration of the thyroid
Drive and use machines
Betadine and PREGNANCY / BREAST FEEDING / FERTILITY
Studies in animals have not shown any teratogenic effect.
In the absence of teratogenic effect in animals, a malformative effect in the human species is not expected. Indeed, to date, the substances responsible for malformations in humans have been teratogenic in animals in well-conducted studies on two species.In clinical practice, there are currently no data of sufficient relevance to evaluate the possible malformative effect of povidone iodine when administered at 1
trimester of pregnancy:
- Since the fetal thyroid begins to fix iodine after 14 weeks of amenorrhea, no repercussions on the fetal thyroid are expected in case of prior administrations.
- Iodine overload, very likely with prolonged use of this product after this term, can lead to fetal hypothyroidism, biological or even clinical (goiter).
- Consequently, prolonged use of this drug is against-indicated from 2 e quarter. Its use, on an ad hoc basis, should only be considered if necessary.
- In case of breastfeeding, it is preferable not to use this drug due to the absence of kinetic data on the passage of terpene derivatives in milk and the potential neurological toxicity on the infant.Iodine passes into breast milk at concentrations higher than maternal plasma.
- Because of the risk of hypothyroidism in infants, breastfeeding is contraindicated in case of prolonged treatment with this drug.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
do not take a double dose to make up for it. Resume the normal course of your treatment.
What happens if I overdose from Betadine ?
overdose is not expected under normal conditions of use.
In case of massive oral ingestion likely to lead to serious intoxication, it is to be treated in a specialized environment: gastrointestinal and / or electrolytic disorders, especially in patients with renal insufficiency. Monitoring of thyroid function is recommended.
What is Forms and Composition Betadine?
|FORMS and PRESENTATIONS|
- Solution for mouthwash: 125 ml bottle. Solution for mouthwash and gargle: 10 ml single dose containers, box of 10.
|p bottle of 125 ml||single dose of 10 ml|
|Povidone iodine||12.5 g||1 g|
- Excipients (common): 85% glycerol, mint flavor (mint essential oil, alcohol), sodium saccharin, sodium hydroxide, purified water.
- Includes a general description of the drug, its use, brand names, FAQs, and relevant news and articles
- General explanation about dealing with the medicine: how to take the medicine, the doses and times of it, the start and duration of its effectiveness, the recommended diet during the period of taking the medicine, the method of storage and storage, recommendations in cases for forgetting the dose and instructions to stop taking the drug and take additional doses.
- For pregnant and breastfeeding women, the elderly, boys and drivers, and use before surgery.
- It treats possible side effects and drug interactions that require attention and its effect on continuous use.
- The information contained in this medicine is based on medical literature, but it is not a substitute for consulting a doctor.