Zaditen Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Precautions
Important to know about Zaditen?
- Ketotifen is an anti-allergy medication.
- In allergy, such as allergic asthma, hay fever, allergy-inflamed eyes and nose, hives and itching.
- Works within a few hours. The operation lasts for about 12 hours.
- Do you constantly have complaints? Use ketotifen every day. Do you occasionally suffer? Then take it if you get complaints.
- Side effects: agitation, anxiety and nervousness. Especially the elderly and young children are sensitive to this.
- Ketotifen can make you drowsy and tired in the first days and reduce your responsiveness. Do you use ketotifen every day? You can drive again after a few days. Do you use it occasionally? Then you can safely drive 24 hours after the last intake.
- Watch out with alcohol. This can still make you suffer.
what is zaditen used for and indication?
Adult and child over 6 years old :
1 capsule morning and evening.
- The capsule form is not suitable for children under 6 years of age due to the risk of false route.
- In the child of 4 years to 6 years the form oral solution is preferable.
- Because of the risk of drowsiness at the beginning of treatment, a period of adaptation of a few days to 1/2 dose administered only in the evening may be recommended.
- – Known hypersensitivity to ketotifen or to one of the constituents of the specialty.
- – The compressed form is not suitable for children under 6 years of age due to the risk of aspiration.
- – Due to the presence of lactose , this medication is not recommended in cases of congenital galactosemia, glucose and galactose malabsorption syndrome or lactase deficiency.
- – Breast-feeding: in the absence of data on the passage into breast milk, treatment is not recommended during breast-feeding.
- – Taking this medication is not recommended in combination with alcohol or drugs containing alcohol (see interactions section).
how does zaditen work?
Pharmacotherapeutic group: ANTIHISTAMINE FOR SYSTEMIC USE.
(R: Respiratory System).
- Ketotifen has anti-allergic properties. It is not a bronchodilator.
- Ketotifen has a prolonged inhibitory effect on histamine reactions (H1 receptor blockade).
What are the side effects of zaditen?
In addition to the desired effect, this can cause drug side effects.
The main side effects are the following.
Rarely (from 1 to 10 in 100 people)
- Excitement , restlessness, nervousness, irritation and insomnia. Especially children and the elderly are sensitive to these side effects.
- Drowsiness , fatigue, reduced co-ordination capacity and reduced responsiveness. This is particularly difficult in activities where your attention is required, such as driving a car, climbing a ladder or monitoring a process at work. And children with cycling or playing on the street, climbing and learning at school. Do not engage in risky activities, especially during the first few days of treatment, if you still have to get used to the medicine.
Very rare (affects less than 1 in 100 people)
- Dry mouth , nose and throat . If you suffer from a dry mouth at the beginning of the treatment, you can stimulate the production of saliva with (sugar-free) chewing gum or by sucking on ice cubes. This side effect occurs mainly in the beginning of the treatment and will automatically change if you continue to take ketotifen. The dry mouth causes faster holes in your teeth and inflammation of the mucous membrane of the oral cavity. Brush and floss extra well if you notice that you continue to suffer from a dry mouth. If necessary, have the dentist checked more often.
- If you have Sjögren’s syndrome , a condition in which the mucous membranes of, for example, eyes and mouth are drier than normal: you may develop more symptoms. This remedy reduces the production of tears and saliva. Contact your doctor if you have more eye irritation or a dry mouth.
- Dizziness , especially at the beginning of treatment, headaches and ringing in the ears.
- Gastrointestinal complaints such as nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, constipation or diarrhea. If you suffer from these side effects, take this medicine with some food.
- Double vision , blurred vision and tired, burning eyes . Tired burning eyes are caused by your eyes making less tears. Especially people with contact lenses are more likely to suffer from this. In that case, keep them in for less time or use moisturizing eye drops (artificial tears).
- Weight gain due to increased appetite. Watch your diet if you use this medication.
- Liver disorders . You may notice this by a sensitive swollen belly or a yellow discolouration of the whites or the skin. Warn your doctor with these symptoms.
- Hypersensitivity to this medication. You can notice this by skin rash, hives or because the complaint does not ring or worsens. Consult your doctor.
In rare cases, there is a serious skin abnormality. Consult a doctor immediately or go to the First Aid Service. You may not use this medicine in the future. Tell the pharmacist that you are hypersensitive to ketotifen. The pharmacy team can then ensure that you do not get the medicine again.
- Cystitis or difficulty urinating . This is especially important if you already have difficulty urinating through an enlarged prostate. Contact your doctor if you notice this. Another medication may be more suitable for you.
- People with epilepsy have a chance of an increase in the number of seizures. Discuss this with your doctor.
Consult your doctor if you suffer too much from one of the above mentioned side effects or if you experience other side effects that you are worried about.
Do you use this medication against allergy and do you have to undergo an allergytest? The result of the test is unreliable if you also use this anti-allergy medication. Therefore, stop taking this medicine for at least three days before you have an allergy test. Discuss this with your doctor.
ASSOCIATION DECONSEILLEE (voir rubrique mises en garde) :
Alcool : increase by alcohol of the sedative effect..
- Impaired alertness can make driving and using machines dangerous. Avoid taking alcoholic beverages and drugs containing alcohol.
ASSOCIATIONS A PRENDRE EN COMPTE :
– Atropine drugs :
- It should be taken into account that atropine substances can add up their undesirable effects and more easily cause urinary retention, an acute glaucoma attack, constipation, dry mouth, etc.
- The various atropine drugs are represented by imipramine antidepressants, most atropine H1 antihistamines, anticholinergic antiparkinsonians, atropine antispasmodics, disopyramide, phenothiazine neuroleptics as well as clozapine.
– Sedative drugs :
- It must be taken into account that many drugs or substances can add their depressant effects of the central nervous system and help reduce alertness.
- These are morphine derivatives (analgesics, antitussives and substitution treatments), neuroleptics, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, anxiolytics other than benzodiazepines (eg meprobamate), hypnotics, sedative antidepressants (amitriptyline, doxepin , mianserine, mirtazapine, trimipramine), sedative H1 antihistamines, central antihypertensives, baclofen and thalidomide.
Warnings and Precautions
- The occurrence of bronchial superinfection or ENT requires the additional administration of specific anti-infectious therapies.
- Very rare cases of convulsions have been reported, especially in children, during treatment with ketotifen.
- This medication is not recommended in combination with alcohol or drugs containing alcohol.
PRECAUTIONS FOR USE
- The use of ketotifen is not recommended for children under 4 years of age.
- The absorption of alcoholic beverages during treatment is not recommended.
Drive and use machines
- Attention should be paid to the risk of drowsiness associated with the use of this medication, especially for vehicle drivers and machine users.
PREGNANCY / BREAST FEEDING
- Studies in animals have not shown any teratogenic effect. In the absence of teratogenic effect in animals, a malformative effect in the human species is not expected.
- Indeed, to date, the substances responsible for malformations in the human species have proved teratogenic in animals in well conducted studies on two species.
- In clinical practice, there are currently no data of sufficient relevance to evaluate a potential malformative or foetotoxic effect of ketotifen when administered during pregnancy.
- Therefore, as a precaution, it is best not to use ketotifen during pregnancy.
- In the absence of data on passage into breast milk, treatment is not recommended during breastfeeding.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take this medicine once a day : does it take more than 8 hours before you take the next dose normally? Take the forgotten dose as yet. Does it take less than 8 hours? Skip the dose you missed.
- If you take this medicine twice a day : does it take more than 4 hours before you take the next dose normally? Take the forgotten dose as yet. Does it take less than 4 hours? Skip the dose you missed.
What happens if I overdose from Zaditen?
- The signs of accidental massive overdose poisoning (up to 120 mg) observed are as follows: drowsiness, confusion, slowing or accelerating the heart and / or respiratory rate, excitations and convulsions.
- The treatment is purely symptomatic and requires monitoring of circulatory and respiratory functions.
– Conduct to keep : if the product has been absorbed recently, a gastric lavage may be useful as well as the administration of activated charcoal.
What is Forms and Composition?
- 2 mg sustained release film-coated tablet (beige): Box of 30, in blister packs. 1 mg capsule (white): Box of 60, in blister packs. Oral solution 1 mg / 5 ml: Bottle of 150 ml, with child safety cap and measuring cup.
Edrug-online contains comprehensive and detailed information about drugs available in the medical field, and is divided into four sections:
- Includes a general description of the drug, its use, brand names, FAQs, and relevant news and articles
- General explanation about dealing with the medicine: how to take the medicine, the doses and times of it, the start and duration of its effectiveness, the recommended diet during the period of taking the medicine, the method of storage and storage, recommendations in cases for forgetting the dose and instructions to stop taking the drug and take additional doses.
- For pregnant and breastfeeding women, the elderly, boys and drivers, and use before surgery.
- It treats possible side effects and drug interactions that require attention and its effect on continuous use.
- The information contained in this medicine is based on medical literature, but it is not a substitute for consulting a doctor.